Thursday, July 30, 2009

Rundu Robbers

We arrived in the frantic town of Rundu after a late morning drive from Sachsenheim camp, just outside Etosha.  We had stopped at the Tsumeb museum on the way for a light history lesson (and some ab-fab mineral rock viewing) before heading into Rundu, which really was no more than a ‘border town’. Check me out with my traveller lingo ay.

Our camp was nice, yet slightly questionably empty.  What I mean is, it was on the river -  always lovely,  however the river was the border to Angola - hmmm.  Need I say more as we had a guard who sat by a fire near our site for the entire evening, on watch for illegal border crossers attempting to enter Namibia via our camp.


We watched another pleasant ‘African sunset’, saw a bushbaby in the trees, and the fantastic outline of an owl, had some dinner and were in bed by the average 7 year-old’s bedtime. Early.

Morning came and we were all up at funnily enough the same time any average 7year old would get up on a Saturday morning to watch cartoons. AKA sparrow fart.  We had to pack up and get ready for a big day at the internet café.  I was rummaging around in my tent as per usual; rolling up my mattress, shuvving the sleeping bag back into its bag with brute force, and being astonished at how much stuff I accumulated in my tent overnight. Fiver had briefly emerged from the roof tent to use the bathroom and Stuart was wandering around watching the sunrise while the water for the tea was boiling.  This was the tiny window of time when the roof tent was unattended, and robbed…quite possibly by a couple of tree swinging children.  That was the unanimous decision anyway.

 

This was our wake up call.  Now we are much more cautious of leaving the car and belongings unattended for more than one minute at a time.  Hmm.  Luckily, the only items that Stuart and Fiver are now less of, are; a couple of pieces of dirty washing, 2 empty bags and Stuart’s recently extracted tooth from Windhoek.  Too many lollies at the Swakopmund movie theatre, I think.

We thanked our lucky stars this was all, and I pretty much kissed my passport after finding it was still in its original place.  My question is though, who robs a bloody roof tent when the back doors are almost screaming out ‘please, someone, anyone, take these three conveniently charging laptops from this wide open and unlocked car’? 

Whoever they were, we were glad they preferred empty bags, dead teeth and dirty washing to apple technology and cloning identities

No comments:

Post a Comment