Tuesday, July 21, 2009

A night in Naukluft camp - baboons and a flat tyre.

Naukluft was possibly my favourite camp in Namibia.  It is a tossup between Naukluft and Abiqua though, both offered such a beautiful stay in two completely different ways.  Abiqua had the gorgeous Oranje river and although we were in Namibia, South Africa was just across that stretch of water.  I liked that. The sunset on the river was stunning and the giant rock cliffs cast impressive shadows for photos. Plus, the campsite was so good that we almost felt spoilt. Naukluft was high up in the mountains and although we didn’t have a raging view, the experience was only positive as well.  Perhaps Naukluft was just such a relief from shitty Sesreim that made me like it so much, but I don’t think that entirely.  Stuart and I went for an afternoon hike up the river until we encountered some baboon territory.  We were dawdling along, watching for big rocks that liked to trip us over, gas bagging away when I heard this strange noise.  It sounded like someone doing a wheeze laugh, in and out consistently. I looked up and saw about 5 ugly baboon faces staring down at me, then the big-dog alpha male made an appearance and I suddenly didn’t want to continue my afternoon hike anymore – the fact that I would have to walk past them again on my way back to camp didn’t help.

 

 

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment