Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Oh-so accommodating Lüderitz


After Fish River Canon we set off for a long day’s drive to Lüderitz. Fiver made the routine phone call to book some accommodation for the night.  We opted for proper beds and walls this time as Fiver was slightly (major understatement) bashed up from our wild horse riding expedition.

She spoke German to the man on the other end of the phone, and laughed as she hung up.  I understood some of what was being said but not all, not until she translated to me - I will be staying in the son’s room of the owners of the B & B…..

There was one room for 2 people and all the other rooms (the other two) in this cute German house-turned B & B were taken. “But that is no problem” the man told Fiver on the phone, “our son is studying abroad and we can make up his room for the young girl”. 

 

In reflection, I was a little weirded out by this homely offer but I knew it wouldn’t be that bad once I got there.  It was as if I was going to be staying at a friend’s house, but my friend wasn’t going to be there… and I didn’t know my friend at all. 

What I realised quickly about the places we have been and are going to go during this trip, is that the majority of the hosts really are so kind and genuine. They really do enjoy having you there and not somewhere else, and I didn’t at all feel uncomfortable during my stay.

 

So, we arrived at Lüderitz. It was cute but man was it dead! I later commented that it had the potential to be the next Kolmanskop if it didn’t watch out.

Fiver introduced herself to the host’s wife, and they did their little German spiel thingy. Stuart and I stood awkwardly in the background both sharing the same concentrated expression; faces scrunched up and necks craned out as far as possible so at least one ear could catch the conversation, then trying our hardest to grasp at any common words.

Stuart could understand a lot more than I.  

I finally understood a whole sentence when Fiver was explaining that Stuart was English, I was a New Zealander and we did not Sprechen Sie Deutsch so well. The lady looked at us for a split second (obviously saw the ever-so-trying look on my face) and then blurted out “Well that’s great! We can all speak English then, I’m rubbish at German anyway”. Fantastic.

 

Once Fiver and Stuart were settled in, the lovely lady showed me to my son’s bedroom. Hmmm, how to word that one?

I was more than welcome to make myself at home and use the bathroom and shower as I pleased.  I was not to worry if I heard any ‘movements next door’ as that was their daughter, and I was also warmly offered a cup of hot chocolate. 

How nice was she? I even had her own personal set of house keys so I could ‘come and go as I please’. 

Ich liebe Sandrose B & B, Vielen Dank! 

No comments:

Post a Comment