Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Border Crossing Nummer Eins


My first border crossing was kind of like eating a whole packet of M & M’s in the blink of an eye without even noticing. 

We got out of the car at the South African border, all raring to go with all of our documents at hand, Fiver’s big yellow folder at the ready and a very apprehensive me waiting to be asked some very difficult question.  I walked in after Fiver and Stuart, the man said ‘Passport’, I gave it to him, he stamped it, I walked out, and we drove off.  Crunch crunch, more M & M’s down the hatch….

 

‘Ok ok, so the Namibia end will be different’ I thought, and we were prepared to be there for hours especially because a giant bus of young tourists just nipped in line before us. 

After stressing that Stuart’s yellow fever certificate was not where it was supposed to be and there was no other place that it possibly could have been, but then finding it in the place that it was said to be, (after looking a little more thoroughly) and 7-10 minutes in line we were out of there.  We got in the car and drove off once again. 

…ooo  M & M’s are fantastic!

Fiver turned to me in the back seat and yelped “We are in Namibia now Merryl!”

Well shit, we were too!

 

But when did this all happen?  How did I manage to eat all of those M & M’s without any struggle or warning? I’m sure the next packet will be different.

 

..Maybe 11 minutes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment