Friday, July 17, 2009

Aucklington or Wellyland?

Even though we didn’t stay very long in Cape Town, I felt a great deal of comfort from the way the waterfront was laid out, but I couldn’t figure out why. On our last day, I emailed Jennifer describing what it was like in C.T.  It was like I was at the Viaduct, only 10 times bigger  (Jenny `I probably exaggerated to you a bit more, as per).  Every genre of restaurant such as South African cuisine, Seafood; featuring terribly small (very illegal NZ) sized crayfish, tasty Thai, Indian, Italian and so on.  I suppose the abundance in restaurant choice is getting pretty standard these days, but not when these restaurants are surrounding a shopping mall bigger than St Lukes, and are still on the waterfront. Groups were always performing song and dance or traditional music, which filled the atmosphere and attracted crowds all day long. So like I said, the Viaduct…haha but better.

 

On the other hand I was sitting in this bowl-shaped city just like Wellington…only 10 times bigger.  I looked around me and instead of Mt Vic being the lovely background (and the local 15 minute fitness ascent), there was Table Mountain – a more than 10 times bigger and far more interesting sight to look at. Plus it had gondolas! I thought it fitted to scale rather appropriately. 

The sights of the largest ‘Townships’ or ‘Black Housing’ establishments in South Africa were obviously not comparable at all. I had never seen anything as bad as these housing situations and wouldn’t wish it on any part of our lovely little Land of the Long White Cloud. 

 




No comments:

Post a Comment