Tuesday, July 21, 2009

‘Have you ridden a horse before?’ – ‘Oh yeah totally, we’re experienced!’



The words I will eat for a little while longer yet…

Now that I think about it, the lady didn’t ask if we had ridden wild horses that had not had a run for 5 months.  That could have been helpful!

 

‘I’ll give you a ‘wake up horse’ said the guide. I thought, sure that makes sense - one that is awake sounds a lot better than one that isn’t. “This horse, he is the fastest!”

I lasted about 3 minutes.

Two minutes of walking before my horse boosted into a gallop, not just any gallop, but an unannounced, radical change of pace fuelled by some sort of horse rocket, type of gallop! I was screaming wild panic, I was pulling reins, my legs were dangling lifelessly out of the stirrups and I could tell my horse just wanted me off… 

The guide gives me HIS horse. Ohk cool, I jump off one horse and get given the lead horse, sure.

“Beware, this horse is very wake up, he is used to leading so you will have to hold on, he is very fast…he is the fastest!” –

‘Yeah ok but you just said the other horse I was on was the fastest!”

“Yes. But this one is the fastest.”

“Great”

 

A few minutes later I was wildly transported up into the mountains of big rocks and sharp desert trees. My horse didn’t want to go back down, nor respond to my rein pulling and leg kicking, obviously.  After some time we got back down to the track and gave trotting another go.  The giant horse took off again, this time we galloped sideways. SIDEWAYS! Same scene as before except this time he didn’t really want to stop, not until we bowled through a sharp tree shrub thing and I was dangling from his neck. I recovered miraculously, I must say.

 

Another horse guide came galloping to the rescue and gave me his horse instead; Yussss the pretty little grey horse I liked from the stables, but couldn’t have because it was for the beginners. He had to point that out didn’t he?  What a jerk. Haha, my ego was so bruised, but not as much as my legs the next day.

Satisfaction as I galloped down the sandy straight once more and actually made it in one piece.. The horse’s name… “Try Me”.

 

Fiver was the guru lady at riding wild horses.  While I was throwing tanties left, right and centre, claiming that my horse was ‘weird’, ‘strange’ or just plain ‘psycho’ she was pretty much training the wild beasts.  That was until her horse (who always had to canter when we trotted, such a show off boy horse) decided it had had enough and was getting ready for the big hill climb up ahead.  I turned around to see Fiver dangling from one side of the horse and then toppling gracefully onto the ground as the beast disappeared into the mountains (different horse to my 2nd one).  Tough lady as she was she got back on and kept riding with no worries, but man you should have seen her bruises!

The doctor even gave her big ups.

Shot Five! Hero!

 

 Here is an image of Fiver's beasty bruise from the untamed horse:



No comments:

Post a Comment